The Southern Cotton Shippers Association was organized in 1916 by a group of shippers from the Mississippi Delta and the Memphis market for the purpose of establishing a permanent arbitration board in New England on which the shippers of cotton would have their own representative. The successful outcome of this endeavor blazed the trail for shipper representation on arbitration boards in this country and abroad. In 1926 the territory of the Southern was enlarged to include the entire states of Tennessee, Mississippi, and Louisiana.
In 1955, the organization’s name was changed to “SOUTHERN COTTON ASSOCIATION”.
The objects and purposes of the Association were described in the Charter, as follows:
“The objects and purposes of said corporation are social and educational, to establish harmony and uniformity of trade customs and practices among its members and just and equitable principles in the cotton trade; to promote the general welfare of its members and others engaged in the cotton business, to decide and determine matters of difference among its members, and between its members and others, when submitted to it for arbitration; to gather, compile and disseminate information and statistics relating to matters of special interest to the cotton industry.”
In 1990 the Southern merged with the Arkansas-Missouri Cotton Trade Association, headquartered in Pine Bluff, Arkansas, and the territory of the Southern was enlarged to also include the states of Arkansas and Missouri.
Through the American Cotton Shippers Association, the Southern is affiliated with the:
Atlantic Cotton Association, Memphis, Tennessee
Texas Cotton Association, Dallas, Texas
Western Cotton Shippers Association, Memphis, Tennessee
The combined memberships of all of the Affiliated Associations form the membership of the American Cotton Shippers Association.